Frequently asked Questions

Error message

Deprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in _menu_load_objects() (line 579 of /home/raylets/public_html/includes/

Please find below answers to many of the initial questions you may have about renting a property. If you have other questions please use the contact us page or email us

We will respond to your question as soon as possible   

What is included in the rent?

If you have rented an unfurnished property, you will be responsible for all utility bills, TV licence and council tax. If you have rented a furnished property, the landlord may include some of the bills in with the rental payment. Details will be covered in your tenancy agreement

What is the holding fee? 

The holding fee is your expression of interest in the property. Once you have paid this, we will not show the property to other applicants.  The holding fee is deducted from your first months rent as long as you go through with the rental. 

Will I get the holding fee back if I am unable to move into the property? 

If you move into the property, the holding fee will count towards your first months rent payment. If you decide you no longer wish to move in to the property, the holding fee will not be refunded as the landlord will have withdrawn the property from the market and will have lost other prospective applicants.  If you are unable to move in to the property, the holding fee will only be returned to you if it is not your fault that you cannot take up the tenancy.

How much is the deposit? 

The deposit is at least 1 months’ rent, but it may be more. The deposit will be lodged with a Tenancy Deposit scheme and will be returned to you when you leave the property in accordance with the terms of your tenancy.  Please note that if you breach the terms of your tenancy and cause damage which is more than fair wear and tear, or you are in rent arrears, the landlord may request that part or all of the deposit is withheld.  The administrators of the scheme will determine if this retention is appropriate and will return any monies due directly to you. 

Do I have to pay for the credit check? 

Yes, the fee is non refundable. This is paid to an agency who will check your ability to pay and your credit history.  They will also contact your employer and previous landlord. You may also be required to pay for a check for your Guarantor, if one is required 

I am on benefits, can you find me a home? 

Some landlords specifically request that their tenants are in employment.  We will endeavour to assist people who are on benefits but we cannot guarantee you a home as you may be unable to meet the requirements of the tenancy.

I have a CCJ

If you have a County Court Judgement (CCJ) you will require a guarantor, who will sign a separate legal agreement in addition to the tenancy agreement.  The guarantor will assume the responsibility for your tenancy and in the event that you are in breach of tenancy for any reason, it is the guarantor who will be held accountable.

What if there are repairs needed? 

Raylets will discuss any repairs with the landlord. You are expected to take good care of the property. In the event that the repair is as a result of neglect or willful damage, you will be asked to pay for the repairs in accordance with your tenancy agreement

What if I get into rent arrears? 

If you fall into rent arrears, you will be asked to make up the payments within a set period of time.  If you continue to be in arrears, the landlord can ask the courts to give back possession of your home.  The courts are required to give the landlord possession if you owe more than 8 weeks rent.  You will be evicted.  You will still owe the money and a debt collection agency will be appointed to recover the debt.  This will affect your ability to get credit in the future and will also make it difficult for you to secure another tenancy.

How long will the tenancy be for?

Generally properties are let for a miniumum period of 6 months. These tenancies are usually renewable. Sometimes a tenancy will be for 12 months with a 6 month break clause. The break clause allows either party to give notice to end the tenancy at 6 months, rather than wait for 12 months or breach the terms of the agreement. In order for you or the landlord to terminate the tenancy at any time, at least one months notice is required from the tenant and the landlord is required to give at least 2 months notice to end a tenancy and gain vacant possession.